Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Zero

Day 19.
The Zero was present when I was a child. Something about the package and name made me avoid the product until today. Hey I didn't want to be or eat a Zero. I definitively appreciate the packaging now as I think the retro look is awesome. which reminds me of when whole ingredients and chocolate were used.

History: Frank Martoccio bought the Pendergast Candy Company of Minneapolis in 1933, changed the name to Hollywood Brands where the Zero was launched in 1920. Hollywood Brands was sold to Consolidated Foods Corp. in 1967, then acquired by Leaf Inc. in 1988 and finally by Hershey in 1996. The Zero was originally marketed as a cool, tasty treat and to this day is frozen by some before eaten. (2)

Logo: Caramel, Peanut, and Almond Nougat covered with White Fudge.



Appearance: Nice orderly bar with thin caramel layer at the top and nougat on the bottom. 2mm layer of white chocolate.
Aroma: Almond with a small sensation of chocolate.
Texture: Very chewy. The almonds and peanuts were barely crunchy.
Flavor: White fudge covering tasted very little of chocolate just of sugar. The nougat had an almond and peanut flavor mixed with caramel. Slightly too sweet.
Calories: 200 cal/package. 3.4 oz. Two servings.






Rating: B

Comments: Good candy bar especially if you like almonds. Maybe a tiny bit too sweet and not enough chocolate...less than 2% cocoa. I should have tried one when I was younger. This bar definitely does not rate a ZERO!
Website: Zero

No comments:

Post a Comment