Sunday, January 17, 2010

Deep Fried Twinkies

Day 17.
Ok, I know that deep fried Twinkies are not candy bars but I did have candy today. I started the Premium M&M's that I will review tomorrow. Deep fried Twinkiea apparently originated in Brooklyn, New Your at a place called the ChipShop. The British chef used the same batter as on his Fish and Chips. This is now a cult favorite and was on the Food Network Special I was watching.

So after freezing the Twinkies, making the batter, flouring and dipping them and finally deep frying them at 375 degrees for four minutes they were ready. The recipe I used had vinegar in it as for Fish and chips. Unfortunately we ate them so fast I didn't get a picture this time but I will soon when I deep Fry a Snickers and Milky Way bar.

Appearance: They look like short fat little Corn Dogs with the stick coming out of them.
Aroma: Fried Goodness with a hint of Twinkies.
Texture/Flavor: Nice crunchy outside with a hint of oil. The inside is hot and very soft and easy to chew. The miraculous thing when deep frying a Twinkie is that the creme middle vanishes and is absorbed into the sponge cake. Wow was I surprised! The cake becomes super moist, incredibly soft and tastes of vanilla. This turns an average tasting Twinkie and makes it amazing.
Calories: Only God knows but definitely quite a bit.

Rating: A

Comments: My favorite topping was whipped creme but the raspberry preserves and caramel topping were very good. Wow, what have I been missing at the state fairs! I can't wait to try them again and to one day go to the ChipShop in New York where you can have anything you want deep fried.
Deep Fried Twinkie History
Hostess Twinkie

No comments:

Post a Comment